There is a dazzling selection of fine dining restaurants in Cornwall; but how do you separate the buzz from the reality? We previously explored the top Michelin restaurants in Cornwall, but we thought it would be interesting to look at the top 7 fine dining restaurants in Cornwall that you may not yet have heard about.
Here at our clifftop B&B we pride ourselves on creating delicious breakfasts which blaze the senses and tickle the taste buds. We adore food in all its glorious forms and believe that eating out with your family when on holiday is one of the greatest joys! Enjoy this list of Cornwall’s most deliciously tempting restaurants (we won’t blame you for excessively salivating…)
Top 7 Fine Dining Restaurants in Cornwall You May Not Have Heard About…
The St Tudy Inn, Nr Bodmin
- Address: St Tudy, Bodmin PL30 3NN
- Distance From Trevigue 15 miles
- Tel: 01208 850656
- Website: http://www.sttudyinn.com/
- Style: Simple, rustic cuisine with real ales and fine wine
- Awards: Michelin BIB Gourmand
- About the St Tudy Inn: Run by the locally lauded chef Emily Scott, this first-rate cosy village pub has fast become one of Cornwall’s top dining destinations. Situated in the beautiful Cornish village of St.Tudy, the Inn has a warm atmosphere and owner Emily Scott has a deep passion for simple, rustic cuisine. Everything is made fresh and the emphasis is on rusticity and high-quality ingredients. Beautifully-presented dishes are unfussy, seasonal and satisfying; local produce is celebrated with the meat coming from Launceston and seafood from Padstow. The St Tudy Inn has been recently awarded 24th place in the list of Top Gastro Pubs and noted as ‘highest climber’, an incredible accolade for Emily and her team.
Appleton’s at the Vineyard, Nr Padstow
- Address: Trevibban Mill Vineyard and Orchards, Dark Lane, Nr Padstow PL27 7SE
- Distance From Trevigue: 26 miles
- Tel: 01841 541355
- Website: https://www.appletonsatthevineyard.com/
- Style: Rustic, Italian dishes with a contemporary twist
- About Appleton’s: This Italian-inspired vineyard restaurant is an idyllic spot to while away an afternoon. Aside from the breath-taking setting which will make you feel as though you’re sat in a vineyard somewhere in Italy, Appleton’s is all about sourcing the best seasonal ingredients at their peak, and letting them do the talking without unnecessary clutter and complexity. The kitchen is run by Andy Appleton who, along with various other culinary achievements, most recently spent his illustrious career as the head chef at Jamie Oliver’s Fifteen restaurant at Watergate Bay for the past 9 years (and before that at the flagship restaurant Fifteen London). Andy creates unique menus that bring the best of Italy and Cornwall together on a plate, and the results are out of this world.
The Dining Room, Rock
- Address: Pavilion Buildings, Rock, Cornwall, PL27 6JS
- Distance From Trevigue 22 miles
- Tel: 01208 862622
- Website: http://www.thediningroomrock.co.uk/
- Style: British and seafood a speciality, fine dining for special occasions
- About The Dining Room: With Rick Stein and Paul Ainsworth pulling the crowds over the water in Padstow, only those in-the-know book a table at The Dining Room. Proprietor and chef Fred Beedles has been delighting customers with his minimal a la carte menu since 2010 and, along with his wife Donna, have created a formidable fine dining experience in this small intimate venue. Fish is sourced sustainable, meat is selected from local farmers who genuinely care about their animals, and from the selection of freshly baked breads to the clotted cream butter, everything is made on site.
The Fish House, Fistral, Newquay
- Address: Fistral beach, Headland Road, Newquay TR71EW
- Distance From Trevigue: 39 miles
- Tel: 01637 872085
- Website: https://www.thefishhousefistral.com/
- Style: Seafood and rustic dishes with authentic flavours
- About the Fish House: Chef and owner Paul Harwood worked for 14 years at Rick Stein’s before setting up this much-praised fine dining restaurant in Cornwall. He is as passionate about cooking stand-out seafood as he is about surfing, which could explain why he has chosen to open The Fish House directly on Fistral Beach. Come for the food – Sri Lankan prawn curry, fritto misto, roasted half shell scallops and a nod to meat eaters and vegetarians too – and stay for the view and general ambiance. Be sure to book ahead: the restaurant is small and its reputation is huge.
Tabbs Restaurant, Truro
- Address: 85 Kenwyn Street, Truro, Cornwall, TR1 3BZ
- Distance From Trevigue: 44 miles
- Tel: 01872 262110
- Website: http://www.tabbs.co.uk/
- Style: Simple British cuisine with an emphasis on meat and fish
- Awards: 2 AA Rosettes
- About Tabbs Restaurant: The 2 AA rosette restaurant is not far from Truro’s train station and occupies two dining rooms in what was probably an old railway home. This unsung hero is one of the best fine dining restaurants in Cornwall, and produces beautifully simple dishes from which the ingredients are allowed to shine through in all their glory. Everything is locally-sourced and the wine list is impeccable; world wines are perfectly paired with imaginative dishes to delight the most seasoned aficionado. A firm favourite with locals, this restaurant might look like an empty house from the outside but inside you’ll be treated to a warm welcome and inventive menus.
Kota Restaurant, Porthleven
- Address: Harbour Head, Porthleven, Helston TR13 9JA
- Distance from Trevigue: 64 miles
- Tel: 01326 562407
- Style: Asian and British Seafood
- Awards: Two AA Rosettes | Michelin Guide’s Bib Gourmand Award
- About Kota: Kota means ‘shellfish’ in Maori – chef/owner Jude Kereama is a New Zealander who has won awards for his restaurants in both London and Auckland before moving down to Cornwall. You may even have seen Jude showcasing his creative culinary skills in 2015 and 2016 on the popular ‘Great British Menu’ on BBC2! Jude and his team invite food lovers to experience an exquisite dining experience here at one of the best fine dining restaurants in Cornwall with its dynamic menus and modern outlook. Kota has a little (but no less impressive) sister by the name of Kota Kai which is situated on harbour head in Porthleven which has become one of Cornwall’s best kept fine dining secrets.
Rojano’s in the Square, Padstow
- Address: 9 Mill Square, Padstow PL28 8AE
- Distance from Trevigue: 28 miles
- Tel: 01841 532796
- Website https://www.paul-ainsworth.co.uk/rojanos-in-the-square/
- Style: Italian family dining with fish a speciality
- Awards: Two AA Rosettes
- About Rojano’s in the Square: Introduced to Padstow in 1974 by Stanley Rojano, Rojano’s in the Square has always been popular for the superb Italian dishes it creates for its guests. Now owned by famed chef Paul Ainsworth, Rojano’s has continued to uphold its high standards which is demonstrated by its two AA Rosettes and a full-to-bursting diary (early booking recommended). Homely Mediterranean-influences with a high-end twist will delight diners of all ages and makes Rojano’s a fine dining restaurant popular for family celebrations and romantic suppers alike. They use Guidetti natural ingredients in all their dishes, as well sourcing Enotria’s finest Italian wines and Italian delicacies you won’t commonly find in Cornwall. This Padstow institution is a ‘must visit’ when you’re holidaying in Cornwall, your tastebuds will thank you!
If you want to book a gastronomic stay to come and experience some of the best fine dining restaurants in Cornwall, get in touch so you can start planning your next foodie holiday! We are looking forward to welcoming you here at Trevigue 🙂